Monday 28 January 2013

Being The Boss.

21-01-13

I've got a module this semester where in, we're to work as small games companies. It's straight forward enough, the class of 30ish students has been split into two teams of ten and we're using the Cry engine and Scrum to create one prototype game each. The game has to be a FPS zombie killing game, multiplayer optional.

Now, in that we're supposed be working as a games company we were all to be given roles based on skills and personal preference. These roles were to be given out by the company producer, an elected executive type role, basically the producer is the guy in charge. This role has real power in the module, they manage the team, make all the final decisions about the game and if necessary, discipline team members. The producer can actually have members of his team kicked off the module if it's deemed necessary.

I'd put my name in for producer. Thinking that, if I got it, it would be good experience relating to my plans after graduation, I also thought it would be nice if I was actually put in charge of a project by my peers instead of just assuming the role.

The campaign was short, we stood in front of the class and presented our fitness for candidacy for 2 minutes each. I'm not well known at the university and I don't even think I'm well liked, I have a habit of winding up total strangers and openly mocking design students, many of whom were on that module. I screwed up my 'speech' delivery pretty royally and made myself look a real idiot. But when the votes came in I (having snuck a peek at the count) was on top... oh... goodie.

So now, here I am leading one of three teams in making a game from the ground up. We're using a commercial grade engine so it's not nearly as much work as it sounds, but there's still an awful lot to do, especially for me. I've got 10 other students relying on me to get a good grade in this module, I've got to manage their time, their tasks and the quality of their work. I've got to organise and lead regular meetings, orchestrate documentation and be held accountable for any and all the problems. I've also got to track it all and report on it. I have a lead artist, designer, tools developer, scripter and 6 team members assigned to various areas. In all I have 2 game designers and 8+ programmers, I'm still waiting for a couple a stragglers to be assigned to my team. All looking to me for decisive guidance and support...

What have I gotten myself in to?

2 comments:

  1. So glad I didn't take this module.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I probably could've handled an artistic role but anything else would've been a bitch :D

      Delete